Around 40 people die in the UK every year from carbon monoxide poisoning due to faulty gas appliances. By law we must service communal (shared) gas heating systems and appliances every 12 months to keep them safe.
Gas safety checks
You are responsible for the safety of all gas appliances in your home and are required to have them serviced annually by a suitably qualified and competent Gas Safe registered contractor; checks are made for appliance condition and service piping, any gas leakages and levels of carbon monoxide. Please be advised that it is a serious breach of the lease not to comply with this requirement.
All works relating to gas appliances must be carried out by a qualified and competent,
Gas Safe registered contractor. On completion of any work, the contractor MUST complete a short report using recognised certificates/records. When work on a gas appliance is carried out, the contractor should also immediately examine:
- The effectiveness of any flue (chimney)
- The supply of combustion air
- The operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both
- The operation of the appliance to ensure its safe
Trent & Dove Housing offer a free safety check, but remember, you are still responsible for any repairs to the appliance and the installation in general, that might be identified at the time of the safety check. The safety check is not a service of the installations. You must arrange to have all gas appliances serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered contractor.
Gas leaks are very serious and require immediate attention. If you can smell gas or have any suspicion that gas is leaking, follow these simple steps:
- Put out cigarettes, turn off gas cookers and fires and anything with a naked flame
- Turn off the main gas supply. The main gas on/off lever can be found next to your gas meter
- Open all windows and doors. This will allow any gas that has built up in your home to disperse
- Do not turn on any lights or sockets or light any matches
- Do not use a phone or Using a light switch or other electrical appliance might generate a spark, which could ignite any escaped gas in the air
- Call National Gas Emergency Service immediately on: 0800 111 999 from outside the property.