GAS SAFETY, It's a Legal Requirement
Once a year we are legally obliged to carry out a gas safety test and any required maintenance to make sure that the gas appliances in your home are safe to use.
Our contractors, J Tomlinson will make an appointment to visit and carry out the checks for you. Please make sure you allow them access to carry out this important work or call them to rearrange the appointment.
During our safety inspection we will:
- Safety check, service and repair all our gas appliances;
- Safety check and service all of the alarms we have previously installed;
- Safety check and service other fixed gas appliances owned by you such as gas fires and wall heaters, where you can provide the necessary installation instructions;
- Undertake a visual inspection of your gas cooker and make you aware of any faults that are found.
Appliances that are serviced regularly are less likely to break down. Just think about the inconvenience when your heating system breaks down unexpectedly...no heating and no hot water!
We will need gas and electricity to service your central heating system. If you have prepayment meters, please make sure there is credit in them when we call. If we cannot service your central heating because there is no gas or electric, we will turn the gas supply off temporarily for your own safety. Should this occur, please contact us on 01283 528528 and select the option for gas/heating repairs to request a service and recommission of your gas installation.
Top Tips to Stay Gas Safe
Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, ﬁres and explosions, recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
On all occasions should you suspect a gas leak or the presence of carbon monoxide fumes call National Grid on 0800 111 999 immediately and follow their advice before then contacting us.
- If your own appliance breaks down or you wish to install a new cooker it’s a legal requirement that only qualified registered engineers work on gas installations and appliances. To find a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500 or visit the Gas Safe Register web site https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/
- Should you wish to install any other heating appliance, you must first get permission from us.
- Always ask to see an engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card and check the back of the card to ensure they are qualiﬁed to carry out the speciﬁc type of gas work you need.
- Allow our contractors access to test the gas appliances in your home every year.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow ﬂames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- You could buy a carbon monoxide alarm and install it in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. This alarm will however be your responsibility to maintain and replace once found to be faulty. These are useful devices but are no replacement for regular safety checks and maintenance work to gas appliances.
- Use gas appliances for their intended purpose only e.g. don’t use a gas oven to heat a room. Do not block any air vents that provide an air supply to the gas appliance.
If you are in any doubt turn off the gas supply to your home or any appliance you feel is unsafe and contact National grid 0800 111 999
We also carry out maintenance to other forms of heating, so if you have any of those listed below we will need to visit
- Solid fuel (wood and coal burning appliances) – twice yearly visits to service the appliance and sweep the chimney
- Ground source heat pumps
- Air source heat pumps
- Storage heating (just to check your smoke alarms)