Preparing for the ban on XL Bully dogs

We've recently updated this page to include information on the ban on XL Bully dogs and advice on exemption. Please see the box further down this page.

If you're suffering as a result of any kind of ASB, let us know

If the incident involves a crime you should report it to the police, in an emergency (your property or life is at risk), dial 999.

For non-emergencies dial 101 first and then please call us on 01283 528 528 to let us know.

ASB includes a wide range of unacceptable behaviour that affects people's quality of life, including, but not limited to:

  • Noise, like loud music or noisy parties (excludes one-off celebrations, see this article and below)
  • Verbal abuse, harassment, intimidation or threatening behaviour
  • Hate crime
  • Vandalism and damage to property
  • Nuisance vehicle noise
  • Alcohol-related disturbances
  • Domestic abuse or violence
  • Littering
  • Overgrown gardens or hedges
  • Pet or animal nuisance (See below for information on the new XL Bully dogs ban)
  • Misuse of communal areas or public spaces - loitering, prostitution, sexual acts, kerb-crawling
  • Criminal behaviour

Behaviour that we wouldn’t normally class as ASB includes:

  • Household noise due to everyday living (such as babies crying, doors banging, toilets flushing or vacuuming)
  • Children playing
  • One-off parties, barbecues or celebrations at reasonable times
  • Cooking smells
  • DIY in reasonable hours
  • Someone parked lawfully.

XL Bully dogs ban - what you need to know

Following a concerning rise in attacks and fatalities caused by XL Bully dogs, the government has added this breed to the list of dogs banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

To help current owners adapt to the new laws, these changes will come into force in two stages.

From 31 December 2023 it will be against the law to:

  • sell an XL Bully dog
  • abandon an XL Bully dog or let it stray
  • give away an XL Bully dog
  • breed from an XL Bully dog
  • have an XL Bully in public without a lead and muzzle

From 1 February 2024 it will be a criminal offence to own an XL Bully dog in England and Wales unless your dog has a Certificate of Exemption.

Read Keeping an XL Bully dog to find out how to get a Certificate of Exemption.

If you're unsure if your dog falls into this breed category you can check here:

Read Prepare for the ban on XL Bully dogs - GOV.UK ( for further information on the ban.

Keeping us informed

If you own an XL Bully breed dog, please contact us to confirm you have a Certificate of Exemption. We will need a copy of this for our records and can advise on keeping to the rules. If you are aware of a neighbour who owns one of these dogs, please also let us know so we can check we have a record of this.

You can contact us at:  or call: 01283 528 528.

How we deal with ASB

When we investigate your complaint of anti-social behaviour (ASB) we will:

  • Treat all information you give us in confidence
  • Give you advice and guidance and arrange support
  • Interview you following your initial report
  • Look into a range of civil and legal actions that can be taken against the perpetrators
  • Advise you about security improvements if your personal safety is at serious risk
  • Advise you on how to fill in diary sheets to record details of incidents and review these regularly with you
  • Keep you updated on the progress of your case
  • Discuss closing the case with you before we close it, and advise you of the reason.

If someone makes a complaint about you causing ASB, we will:

  • Speak to you about the complaint that has been made
  • Tell you what allegations are being made against you and listen to your response
  • Give you the opportunity to rectify your behaviour and help you get support
  • Let you know how we believe you have broken your tenancy or leasehold agreement
  • Where appropriate, discuss options with you, such as an anti-social behaviour contract or a parenting contract, before taking formal legal action
  • Give you written notice of any legal action we intend to take against you, and the reasons for that action.

Where there has been actual violence or the threat of violence, we may make an application for a Without Notice Injunction without interviewing the alleged perpetrator.

If the allegations of ASB include noise nuisance, and if we find that there is noise coming from your property that could be considered a nuisance or annoyance, we will consider enforcement action.

Actions we can take to tackle ASB

Each case is different, and the steps we take will change depending on the circumstances and evidence. There are a number of actions available to us, including:

  • Early intervention
  • Interview with the alleged perpetrator
  • Verbal and written warnings
  • Mediation
  • Restorative solutions
  • Acceptable behaviour contracts (ABCs)
  • Support referrals
  • Family intervention/referrals.


We may take enforcement action such as:

  • Civil injunction
  • Extension of introductory or starter tenancy
  • Possession proceedings
  • Absolute ground for possession
  • Closure order (in partnership with the police and Council)
  • Criminal Behaviour Order (in partnership with the police and Council).

Where enforcement action is taken, victim and witness support is a priority. We may refer you to Victim Support or work in partnership with other agencies to provide support.